Our volunteer tutors receive 13 hours of training before they are matched with a student in our Tutoring Program. We continue to support our volunteers beyond their initial training to provide them with new research, resources, and materials to best serve our students. In the first six months of 2019, we had 32 tutors with 103 hours of professional development! Tutors gathered monthly to learn and discuss various topics, such as:
- Utilizing game formats to improve word recognition, spelling, and memory
- Incorporating pronunciation drills and practice into lessons
- The use of technology in teaching ESL
- The process of Language Acquisition and language-specific obstacles
- Differentiation in reading and grammar among multi-level students
- Maximizing engagement and retention
Some of our sessions occur on a rotating basis while new sessions are added throughout the year. Search our Events Calendar for Professional Development under the New tab for upcoming sessions on utilizing Skype, teaching reading strategies through the use of picture books, and techniques to improve reading comprehension.
If you are interested in facilitating a professional development session, please contact our Program Manager at email@example.com.