Ways to Volunteer
Do you have a love of education and a desire to build a stronger Frederick County?
Then join us in our efforts to bring literacy to adult learners throughout the community, and together we can make a profound impact on the lives of our neighbors. Contact us and learn more about becoming a volunteer and experience firsthand the deep satisfaction of watching lives transformed through the English language.
Tutor an Adult Learner
The need for tutors for our Basic Literacy and English as a Second Language programs continues to grow. Many tutors tell us that volunteering to help adults learn to read is the most rewarding work they have ever done. No teaching or foreign language experience is necessary! Just consider the following questions:
- Can you meet with an adult learner for approximately 2 hours per week on a regular basis and devote time to preparation and travel?
- Can you make a one-year commitment? (Some short-term assignments are available.)
- Are you an able reader and fluent in English?
- Are you 18 years of age or older?
- Do you have a desire to help others?
- Are you patient and flexible?
- Are you willing to report monthly progress?
As a prospective tutor, you will attend an information session and a two-day training workshop. Learn more at Tutor Training.
Help in the Literacy Council Office
- Can you work one weekly three-hour shift from 10 a.m. -1 p.m. or 1-4 p.m. on a regular basis?
- Are you able to answer phone calls, handle mail and e-mail, perform data entry, check out books, shelve books, make/collate photocopies, and similar other tasks? Learn more by attending an upcoming Volunteer Information Session.
Serve on the Board
The Board has general direction over the affairs of the Literacy Council and is responsible for carrying out its policies. Directors must be nominated and elected. Board members must:
- Be able to attend six board meetings each year.
- Be willing to work on committees and special projects.
- Possess particular skills needed by the Literacy Council.
Assist As Needed
We welcome other help on an as-needed basis, instead of a regular schedule, in the following areas:
- Computer maintenance and trouble shooting
- Data entry
- Event planning and management
- Grant writing
- Graphic arts
- Public speaking
- Website maintenance