We teach adults in Frederick County the reading and other English language skills they need to provide for their families and contribute to the well-being and prosperity of our community.
By promoting literacy, the Literacy Council of Frederick County empowers people to live more fulfilling lives.
By training volunteer tutors, we provide free, individualized instruction to adults in need of essential reading, writing, and English language skills.
We believe in:
- Providing learner-centered instruction with compassion, confidentiality, and respect.
- Recognizing the power of our passionate and dedicated volunteers.
- Educating a parent in order to educate a family.
- Creating a safer, healthier, economically stronger and more vibrant community through the ripple effect of adult literacy.
- Engaging with our community.
- Sustaining our organization through:
- Responsible financial stewardship of resources.
- Sound management practices.
- A strong volunteer base.