Frederick County Resource Phone List – A list of phone contacts for help with housing, transportation, education, child and family programs, medical needs, and legal assistance.
Student Resource List – An additional list of programs for legal, job, health, food, housing, transportation and other assistance.
The Literacy Council recommends these websites for student practice:
- Duolingo – https://www.duolingo.com/ Free courses with no ads, a good supplement for lessons that students can use to practice on their own on a computer or phone. Bite-size lessons that feel like games teach reading, listening and speaking skills.
- ESL Fast– http://eslfast.com There are countless dialogues, essays and short stories here for students to practice listening, speaking and reading skills.
- Interesting Things for ESL Students – http://manythings.org This website includes quizzes, word games, word puzzles, proverbs, slang expressions, anagrams, a random-sentence generator and other computer assisted language learning activities. The primary focus is ESL, but native English speakers may also find interesting things. Teachers may want to recommend this site to their students.
- My English Pages – https://www.myenglishpages.com/english/speaking.php – English speaking lessons
- Lyrics Training – https://lyricstraining.com/ This is a website designed to learn English through music. It has tons of music videos and CLOZE (fill in the blank) lyrics to practice listening comprehension
- Games to Learn English – https://www.gamestolearnenglish.com – various quick online games to learn English
- English Club – https://www.englishclub.com/ Website designed to help English learners learn English online. Includes grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, listening, speaking, reading, writing, and ESL games & quizzes
- ESL Lounge – esl-lounge.com Student – English Grammar, Vocabulary, Pronunciation, Reading, Listening, and games categorized by level
- Simple English Wikipedia – https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page. The site has 167,884 articles using simple words and grammar for adults who are learning English.
- GCF Global – https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/subjects/core-skills/ Interactive lessons on a variety of topics from reading and math to digital literacy, GED and Personal Finance literacy
- ESL Gold – https://eslgold.com/ The site includes speaking, grammar, vocabulary, listening, and reading. Students can watch grammar and speaking videos.
- USA Learns – http://usalearns.org This website offers videos and listening activities, plus a section for students to learn about US citizenship.
- Dorinda’s ESL Channel – Verb Do and Action Verbs – Past Tense with Questions & Negatives: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAgvXE4-01VXS1om6yvnohg
- EL Civics for ESL Students – http://elcivics.com/ Lesson plans, videos and worksheets on many topics including government, history, holidays and life skills.
- Learn & Practice for U.S. Naturalization Test – https://americanhistory.si.edu/citizenship/ U.S. History and civics with audio and video.
- Rachel’s English – http://rachelsenglish.com/ This website has over 400 YouTube videos teaching the sounds, rhythm, stress, and intonation of conversational American English. Includes written transcripts.
- Learning Chocolate – https://learningchocolate.com – A vocabulary and pronunciation learning platform with audio and organized by category.
- Merriam-Webster Learner’s Dictionary – https://www.learnersdictionary.com/ Pronunciation along with definitions and words used in sentences
- Sounds American – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-MSYk9R94F3TMuKAnQ7dDg/videos YouTube has a series of videos on their Sounds American Channel that focus on isolated consonants and vowels. These videos are great if your student is struggling with a specific sound.
- Voice of America Learning English – https://learningenglish.voanews.com/ This website teaches English through videos and listening activities. It uses up-to-date newspaper articles and videos. Various levels.
- News for You Online – https://www.newreaderspress.com/news-for-you-online Current news articles can be used for conversation and comprehension practice. Contact LCFC office for subscription login.
- Using English – https://www.usingenglish.com/ Grammar and vocabulary lessons by level
- English Grammar Games – https://www.grammar.cl/Games.htm Multiple choice English grammar games at Woodward English
- Reading Skills for Today’s Adults – https://www.readingskills4today.com BASIC LITERACY short passages at 16 different levels, each with recorded audio of the passage at three different speeds so students can read along for fluency practice. Includes pre-reading vocabulary, comprehension questions, link to Quizlet vocab practice and Google docs multiple choice quiz questions
Book Purchase Requests:
Click here to purchase books through the Literacy Council: