Become Inspired! Learn More About The Literacy Council
The issue of illiteracy is one that affects us all. In Frederick County, 1 in 10 or 17,000 adults are functionally illiterate and cannot read a newspaper or fill out a job application. Since 1963, the Literacy Council has been assisting both American and foreign-born adults in attaining basic reading, writing and English-speaking skills with our free, confidential, one-on-one tutoring services – resulting in lives of greater productivity and communities with a higher quality of life.
Learn about the work of the Literacy Council and how you can make a difference in the lives of fellow residents by watching our new video. We believe you’ll be surprised and moved by what you learn.
Interested in learning more about becoming a Literacy Council volunteer Tutor?
If so, you are invited to participate in a short, no-obligation orientation session to get all the details. If you decide that you’d like to continue on the road to becoming a tutor, you can then attend the scheduled in-person training workshop. You may register for and attend any orientation session prior to the training workshop sessions. An orientation session is a prerequisite for the in-person training workshop.
The Orientation sessions are scheduled as follows:
- Saturday, August 1, 2015, 10:30 - 11:45 am at the Urbana Library
- Wednesday, August 5, 2015, 7:00 - 8:15 pm at our LCFC office, 110 E. Patrick St., Frederick
- Saturday, September 12, 2015, 10:00 - 11:15 am at our office
- Monday, September 14, 2015, 7:00 - 8:15 pm at our office
The Tutor Training Workshops are scheduled as follows:
- Saturday, September 19, and Saturday, September 26, 2015, 8:45 am - 3:15 pm at the C. Burr Artz Library, 110 E. Patrick St., Frederick. Preregistration is required. (One Orientation session and both workshop days are required for certification.)
- Saturday, October 17, and Saturday, October 31, 2015, 8:45 am - 3:15 pm in Hagerstown. Preregistration is required. (One Orientation session and both workshop days are required for certification.)
If you have any questions, please call our office at 301-600-2066 or send us an e-mail.
To register for an Orientation session and Tutor Training Workshop, please click here or use the Quick Link to the left to go to the online Volunteer Registration Form. You can also register by phone by calling the LCFC office.
We will also be scheduling training sessions in Frederick and Hagerstown in September and October, 2015, with dates and other details to be announced.
Please consider helping LCFC meet the continuing need for literacy training in our area by becoming a Certified LCFC Tutor. You'll be joining an elite group of dedicated volunteer tutors, like the graduates of our March, 2015 training, pictured here. Thank you!
Support LCFC when you shop
LCFC and Amazon - LCFC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for organizations to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Whenever you connect to Amazon.com through the Search Box at the lower left on any of our pages, LCFC will receive a percentage of the sale. Any item placed in your shopping cart through this link and purchased during a 24-hour window will earn money for LCFC! Thank you!